Friday, September 23, 2011

Markdown May Be the Death of Me

Markdown May Be the Death of Me

This is where we find out. I've spent the last several hours on a little quest. Like most quests it didn't start out as a quest, it started out as a question. That question was what is Markdown and why should I care?


Markdown is a simple syntax for formatting content for the web without typing full on html as you go. For example, if I wanted to add a link to this I could type


<a href="http://www.cnn.com">CNN</a>


which is just too much. Using Markdown I can type



<http://www.cnn.com>



and that's okay, if you don't mind messy links in your text. But I do mind messy links in my text. I want things to look neat.
I tried WriteMonkey, I tried Sublime. They, like most windows software, ok, but they are no going to light you on fire with their brilliance.


Finially (at 5:30 in the morning) I found Gonzo. Maybe I'm just tired, but I have to say I love this program. It has passed all the test that left WriteMonkey and Sublime face down in the dirt. More than that, its actually does things in a reasonable, efficient, dare I say graceful way.


For example, did you notice the inline link in the paragraph above? Gonzo did that, all I did was give it the text and the link.
I'm very pleased. I think I'll go to sleep now.

No comments:

Post a Comment